2020 13th Annual EMBA Beekeeping Workshop
February 8 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Are you interested in beekeeping? Do you have bees already?
The Eastern Missouri Beekeepers Association offers a state-of-the-art Beekeeping Workshop Sessions for both Beginners and Experienced Beekeepers on Saturday, February 8, 2020.
Prominent Honey Bee Scientists and Beekeeping Experts to Present Courses for Beginners and Experienced Beekeepers Leading beekeeping educators, honey bee research scientists and authors from the University of Minnesota Bee Lab, will be among the visiting faculty leading the workshops. Instructors will include Jennifer Berry Top Beekeeping Researcher at the University of Georgia, Gary Reuter University of Minnesota Scientist, and THE BEE SQUAD members Becky Masterman, PhD, University of Minnesota Bee Lab Team Leader, Ana Heck, Minnesota Bee Lab Bee Squad Instructor, Bridget Mendel Lee Minnesota Bee Lab Bee Squad Instructor
The Beginners’ Beekeeping Course is intended for novice beekeepers or persons with no prior beekeeping experience. The class will cover all aspects of basic beekeeping to prepare students to start beekeeping in 2020. Beginners will learn the nuts and bolts of beekeeping, including:
- honeybee biology;
- beekeeping equipment;
- performing hive inspections;
- how to order equipment and bee packages; and
- what to expect in the first year of beekeeping.
Beginners will leave the workshop with everything they need to know to get started with new hives this spring. In addition, EMBA coordinates seasonal workshops and field days led by experienced members to help at every major turning point in the first year of beekeeping. EMBA supports beginner beekeepers with a broad program that includes educational and social events and coop purchasing of complete beginners’ equipment kits and nucleus honey bee colonies for delivery in the spring, and open hive instructional workshops during the season at the Club’s teaching apiary in Creve Coeur, Missouri.
The Experienced Beekeepers’ Course will be tailored towards intermediate and expert level beekeepers and will place special emphasis on colony health and behavior. More details coming soon as speakers are confirmed.
- A Continental Breakfast, Lunch and snacks are included in the registration fee. Please indicate special dietary requests on your registration.
- Registration packets include course materials, an authoritative reference book, beekeeping periodicals, and equipment catalogs.
- Doors open at 7:15 a.m. for workshop check-in
- Early Registration (Before 1/15/2020) $85.00
- Standard Registration (After 1/15/2020) $95.00
Registration Closes February 4, 2020
Vendors represented at the workshop will include Dadant & Sons and The Walter T Kelley Company.
Beekeepers’ Mardi Gras Banquet SOLD OUT!
The Friday evening before the Saturday workshop, EMBA hosts the Beekeeper’s Mardi Gras Banquet to kick off our beekeeping weekend. Everyone is welcome to attend and we hope you’ll join us!
- Held in The Missouri Room on the beautiful Maritz Campus.
- Mardi Gras themed buffet dinner with a cash bar.
- Beginners and Experienced beekeepers join together to talk about bees and beekeeping.
- Jennifer Berry will be our keynote speaker at the banquet
- NewBees can use this evening to meet beekeepers and get their questions answered on a one on one basis.
We hope all our workshop attendees will join us for this wonderful start to a great weekend, Everyone is welcome at the banquet. You do not have to attend the workshop to come to the banquet. Many spouses enjoy the banquet but do not attend the workshop. We are sorry, but we are not able to guarantee special dietary requests at this event, however there will be many choices at the buffet.
If you need further information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The banquet cost is $30.00 per person.
To register for the banquet, buy a ticket below.